Keeyon Smart commits

Talk about the latest recruits here.
tnelly15
Riptide

@ScottDKushner: BREAKING: Confirmed through source, #Tulane gets FB commitment No. 3, OL Keeyon Smart from McKinley HS in Baton Rouge (6-5, 300 lbs).

AugWave
Swell

Lol, beat me to it! I deleted my topic of Keeyon. GREAT get, and he's Tanzel Smart's bro.

LET'S GET HIS TEAMMATE, KIRK LOUIS JR.!!!!
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

AugWave wrote:Lol, beat me to it! I deleted my topic of Keeyon. GREAT get, and he's Tanzel Smart's bro.

Had a Miss State offer, CJ is tooling Mullen.
AugWave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
AugWave wrote:Lol, beat me to it! I deleted my topic of Keeyon. GREAT get, and he's Tanzel Smart's bro.

Had a Miss State offer, CJ is tooling Mullen.
Right. Definitely opening some eyes.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Dupergreenie
Surge

:1thumb: :1thumb: :1thumb: :1thumb: :1thumb: :1thumb:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
capwave
High Tide

2 really good commits in 2 days, can't ask for more than that.
OUG
Riptide

WUT ABOUT HIS STARZZZ! UNRATED??!?!?!

WTF CJ!?!?! TYPICAL TULANE
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Looks good as he has the size. Even better is that we have his brother to go by. We now he has a good work ethic so hopefully the same is true here.

OUG this is another good example. Right now these are just commits. We already lost Bussey. Also these last two look good but 2 doesn't make a class. As I said in the other thread hopefully CJ and his staff can fill this class out and continue to recruit well into the future but once we are playing the schedules we'll be playing can it hold up? I hope so but only time will tell.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:WUT ABOUT HIS STARZZZ! UNRATED??!?!?!

Since you are throwing out this strawman, exactly who has made any such suggestion?
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Since you are throwing out this strawman, exactly who has made any such suggestion?
Its a joke. Are your ears burning?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Was just pointing out, as usual, that there is no substance or accuracy to your comments.
RobertM320
Green Wave

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Was just pointing out, as usual, that there is no substance or accuracy to your comments.
That's the stupidest response you've ever made, JJ. It was obviously a comment made in jest. Why would a joke need to be accurate or have substance? Once again, you're just out picking a fight.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

That's the stupidest response you've ever made, JJ. It was obviously a comment made in jest. Why would a joke need to be accurate or have substance? Once again, you're just out picking a fight.
Not to mention, the substance is a critique of the faith people put in ratings services. This kid has an SEC offer and hasn't been evaluated yet by the two biggest services. Outside of the 4-5 star kids, the services just aren't that reliable at evaluating the middle part of the bell curve for D-1 Talent. There are too many kids and the differences are too marginal.

I don't honestly know why JJ got so sensitive about it. Strange dude.
RobertM320
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Not to mention, the substance is a critique of the faith people put in ratings services. This kid has an SEC offer and hasn't been evaluated yet by the two biggest services. Outside of the 4-5 star kids, the services just aren't that reliable at evaluating the middle part of the bell curve for D-1 Talent. There are too many kids and the differences are too marginal.

I don't honestly know why JJ got so sensitive about it. Strange dude.
You answered your own question. LOL
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wavedat
Swell

It was aimed at me and others who feel the POSS will hold the program back. I'll gladly eat crow when we are ranked in the top 25.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
RobertM320
Green Wave

wavedat wrote:It was aimed at me and others who feel the POSS will hold the program back. I'll gladly eat crow when we are ranked in the top 25.

You know, if Boise State can make a BCS bowl playing on a blue field in the middle of f'n nowhere, we can do the same in the POSS. Its all about doing what's needed to win. Unfortunately, our Athletic Department doesn't seem willing to do that.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Nope. It was a continuation of his postings calling out "negative" posters, even if the tone was obviously in jest. And if you are looking for someone picking a fight, you got the wrong guy.
OUG
Riptide

247 has gotten around to rating Keeyon. Three stars.
sader24
Tsunami

Nice, recruiting has improved every year and from the look of the start this year that trend seems to be holding.
Wave QB
Swell

OUG wrote:247 has gotten around to rating Keeyon. Three stars.

I have learned that many posters here don't give a rats face about 247's ratings. Some seem to believe that rivals is the bible of recruiting stars. To be honest, it seems like 247 has been more accurate.
OUG
Riptide

Wave QB wrote:
OUG wrote:247 has gotten around to rating Keeyon. Three stars.

I have learned that many posters here don't give a rats face about 247's ratings. Some seem to believe that rivals is the bible of recruiting stars. To be honest, it seems like 247 has been more accurate.
My main criticism has always been less about a specific service and more that the sheer magnitude of the undertaking makes it very difficult to truly be accurate in the fat part of the bell curve -- where the money is made.

So, I think most services are going to do a good job sorting out the top 10% of prospects nationally, your 4/5 star kids. These are the kids that have been on their radar since forever, have been going to the camps, play at the powerhouse HS programs, have started since Freshman year, etc. Honestly, I don't need these service's "ratings" to tell me these kids are studs. The ratings of these kids are probably very accurate, but there's no value-add there.

I also think that the rating services generally know pretty early (say, by summer) who is not likely to get many sniffs in FBS. In Louisiana, this is probably 150-200 ranked guys in the State pecking order (call this the bottom 10%). Again, there's not a ton of value they are providing here. I'm not impressed by any of the services telling me that a 5'8 145 lb kid that runs a 4.9 isn't going to be an FBS level corner.

Where the value should be is in distinguishing between two and three-star players. And here, there are just so many players in this 80%/middle of the bell curve that their job is nearly impossible. Evaluating, projecting, and rating these kids who have a talent level that is clustered pretty closely together seems like an impossible task, and it is. The evidence of this is that there are very few consensus three-star players across the services. If there was truly a sharp difference between 2 and 3 star talent, wouldn't we be seeing consistency across the services in identifying it? The reality is that the gap between a 2 star and a 3 star is not as significant as we are prone to think. The prized recruit we fought multiple schools over last year at the end of the process (Daren Williams) was a two-star at 247 and a really low 2 star at Rivals, but a three star at Scout. In this fat part of the bell curve, the entire exercise of differentiating talent/ratings feels very arbitrary to me.

I do like to cite where we get "3-star" guys because it is a data point, and even it its not the best data point, its the one the public likes to use.

/Off Soapbox.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

"I could care less about Players that can play, I want Players that CAN MAKE PLAYS"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
wavedat wrote:It was aimed at me and others who feel the POSS will hold the program back. I'll gladly eat crow when we are ranked in the top 25.

You know, if Boise State can make a BCS bowl playing on a blue field in the middle of f'n nowhere, we can do the same in the POSS. Its all about doing what's needed to win. Unfortunately, our Athletic Department doesn't seem willing to do that.
Boise State actually made a name for themselves and an identity playing on that blue turf! I hope that the checkerboard sky blue and green end zones become something that people identify with Yulman. If they do it right, it will look awesome. Let's hope RD has nothing to do with the design. If CJ can get the offense rolling, it would be great to see ESPN highlights with our boys finding their way into those checkerboard endzones often.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

Boise State actually made a name for themselves and an identity playing on that blue turf! I hope that the checkerboard sky blue and green end zones become something that people identify with Yulman. If they do it right, it will look awesome. Let's hope RD has nothing to do with the design. If CJ can get the offense rolling, it would be great to see ESPN highlights with our boys finding their way into those checkerboard endzones often.
We are off topic, but the end zones are green and white checker boarded, no?